FIRST OF ALL, INSTINCT IS NOT AN APP
Or a magic eight ball or some collection of generic DIY tools that you must figure out for yourself. Instinct is part consultancy, part think-tank, and part advocate for smarter organizations. We work to find out what the needs are for every individual situation and if there are ways we can be of help.
THINK OF INSTINCT AS A CONFIDANT
When you’re sick you see a doctor. When you get sued you hire a lawyer. When you need to get advice beyond your own expertise you call on someone with that knowledge. Instinct specializes in understanding human behavior and how to apply that to a variety of problems. It’s easy to get lost in the daily grind and lose sight of how all those seemingly little decisions can add up to a real impact on your efforts. We act as another set of eyes and ears that you can use to bring in a new perspective and help bring about any of the following:
- provide a better customer experience
- reduce employee turnover
- avoid costly mistakes
- create a laboratory-like culture
- diffuse politically charged environments
- reduce long-term costs
- stay ahead of changes in the marketplace
- understand risks and trade-offs
- create a more creative workplace
- grow in a sustainable way
- waste less money on marketing
- move stalled projects along
- stop chasing shiny new tech tools
- use data more wisely
- make the most of the resources you’ve got
- prioritize what needs to be done and when
INSTINCT IS AN ADAPTABLE WAY OF THINKING
Instinct doesn’t pretend to know the intricacies of everything you do; that is not our purpose. We fill the need for helping you better understand how the human brain works, how people perceive and react to new things, and how best to take that information and apply it to the tasks at hand.
You’ve been around long enough to become an expert in the work you do. But with that comes the risk of being spread too thin and sometimes losing focus. When that happens, fresh perspective is of value.
With so many layers of complexity, your company is like a slow moving ship in a sea of crashing tides. Instinct works with department heads, as well as C-level members on a variety of initiatives.
Whether a freelancer or small team, as a startup you have the benefit of working from a clean slate. You can avoid costly mistakes and make better choices right from the start.
PUBLIC AND SOCIAL INSTITUTIONS
From local governments to NGOs and nonprofit groups, when working with public resources and trying to attain a greater good, there is a crucial need for getting consensus and “buy in” from a variety of parties.
INSTINCT IS AN ART AND A SCIENCE
BEHAVIORAL ECONOMICS – Using observation as a tool to see how people behave in their natural surroundings. Balances the emotional brain with the rational brain. Often results in seeing that we as a species are much more primal in our behavior than we tend to believe. Almost always yields a hidden answer beyond the expected one.
DESIGN THINKING – The goal of these tools are to create the conditions for an outcome. Built on the same principles of design used in creating products and places, it starts with defining the desired end result and then working backward to identify all the opportunities and roadblocks that could impact the project.
SUSTAINABILITY – Often thought in terms of natural resources, sustainability is really about long-term thinking. How will you survive through ups and downs? How can you balance short-term wants with long-term needs? How can you serve the needs of people both inside and outside your organization both now and in the future?
*COMMON SENSE – When in doubt we simplify. If there is one thing we despise most it is the over-complication that surrounds us everyday. Layers and layers of bureaucracy, convoluted processes, and cloudy thinking. And while this is less science and more art, it is a fact that often a more back to basics approach works best.
WHAT YOU GET FROM USING INSTINCT
With the tools just described as well as others, Instinct can be applied to a wide variety of problems and needs. The bulk of our work fits into one of the three categories below:
SPECIFIC AND FINITE – Projects are when you have already determined a need for something, and it is already into the planning or execution stages. Instinct can help bring insights, ensure the project is meeting the necessary human-focused goals, and even help you manage the project.
PROCESSES AND POLICIES
FIXING HOW YOU OPERATE – Most of the problems you encounter are a function of how things operate both inside your business and with the outside. Using much of our understanding of behavior and design, we help find and eliminate roadblocks.
EMPLOYEES, CUSTOMERS, AND YOU – This work focuses on how people interact within your business and outside, as well as how you yourself can better recognize where problems are going to pop up before they do. Think of human resources but with an Instinct twist.
Examples of end results.
This is just a sampling of what you can use Instinct for. Keep in mind this is a way of thinking and acting and as such can be applied to many more things.
- Design new management and staffing structure
- Implement a new communication strategy
- Build a resource tracking system for vendors
- Monitor customer and employee satisfaction
- Plan a business expansion
- Create a better Internet presence
- Add a new project management process
- Design a diversity plan
- Design a new product or service
- Write a new employee manual
- Develop a new business model
- Create a better customer service policy
WHILE INSTINCT CAN BE APPLIED TO MANY SITUATIONS, THERE’S ONLY ONE WAY TO KNOW IF IT CAN FOR YOURS.
Pick the description below that best fits your situation to get a more tailored view of Instinct:
New and Small Business
- 0-500 Employees (approx.)
- Founder of a startup
- Sole-proprietor of a local business
- Part of a small business team
- Owner of a small business looking to grow
- Someone still deciding if striking it out on your own is possible
Big Businesses and Organizations
- 500-5000+ Employees (approx.)
- CEO or Corporate Officer setting strategy
- Middle Manager implementing policies
- Human Resources Manager tasked with training and development
- Project Manager of diverse teams across company
Public and Social Institutions
- Leadership of local government
- Oversee delivery of various city services
- Involved in economic development
- Run a nonprofit or civic organization
- Involved with citizen engagement and communications