YOU'RE COMPANY IS LIKE A SHIP ON ROUGH SEAS.Will you sink or make it to calmer waters?
Why is the modern company so dysfunctional?
Short-term focus: quarterly reports, share price, investors wanting immediate ROI and not willing to wait.
Globalization and technology: you try to keep up with things but because you aren’t seeing how the pieces fit, you can’t get ahead.
The social contract is broken: employees no longer feel protected by their employers, they don’t feel secure, and they don’t have a sense of purpose.
Definition of growth: there is nothing wrong with the profit motive, but when it is not balanced with social and environmental well-being, your company cannot be sustainable.
So, if I buy-in to that assessment, where do we go from here?
- You introduce a new culture into your company, one that focuses on the inside out, as we explain in the Human Experience Model
- You define new metrics for success, with a balance between growth and social impact
- You seek out and embrace ideas from the bottom up, and not just pay lip service to “employee and customer satisfaction”
- You break out of short-term thinking and take a sustainability view
Sounds like sweeping change, is that what Instinct is about?
No, not at all….you are on a ship that has been lumbering for a long time…you can’t just turn on a dime.
But you also can’t live in the incremental world…and that is where having someone from the outside bringing a fresh perspective is so vital.
Instinct provides that perspective and helps you introduce it into your company using Instinct Methods.
How Can We Use Instinct?
We help you understand the Human Experience Model of business and apply Instinct Methods to your business. We can be your hidden counselor and confidant, or we can work out in the open directly with you and others in your business as needed. The first step is being open to new ideas.
Your level of authority and ability to introduce us into your company in large part dictates how we move forward:
CEO or C-Level Executive
You need to portray an image of confidence and certitude for your various stakeholders. And because of that, it’s hard to admit that you don’t have the answers or that you have doubts. In fact it may even prove detrimental to the success of your efforts. This is very common for people in your position, but it is also one of the biggest causes of failure.
For you, it may be best to start our work together outlining obstacles you are facing, both externally and internally, that could make changing the culture of your company and the way it thinks difficult.
You’ll want to keep these discussions more private in the beginning, among just you and and a small circle of trusted associates.
As we develop more concrete steps to take, you will then want to transition to a public effort among the departments, managers, and staff needed to implement your plans.
Of course it goes without saying that all of our work and conversations with you are confidential. including our no-cost initial discussions to determine if we can be of benefit to you.
Manager or Department Head
You carry out the policies and manage the processes mandated to you by the powers that be. You see things need to be done better and you have ideas of how they can be better, but you need help navigating the political environment you operate in. And you need help putting ideas into action. You are currently in one of two likely situations:
1) You work in a place that not only doesn’t value speaking up but looks down on it, and so you are worried. That is understandable. The only thing you can do is be armed with good information and a plan of action.
2) You may be here because you have already been tasked with developing a new approach to issues within your company, and are looking for some guidance and advice. Or you are in the process of gathering options that you can take back to your supervisors.
In either case, you can talk with us confidentially, and at no cost to you or your company.
Instinct Makes Location Irrelevant
One of the core philosophies of Instinct is that everyone who wants and needs our help should be able to get it. And while we would love to meet everyone in person, that is just not possible. And it’s also not necessary.
Do you think it Is the distance across a table or a continent that matters, or is it the quality of the ideas and relationships built? We argue it’s the latter.
And so we embrace the Internet for what it allows us to do for you. Each client of Instinct gets full access to all of the following as needed:
ONLINE GROUP MEETINGS
NOTE: Instinct isn’t just an online partner. If you have projects that are more suited to onsite visits, we are happy to board a plane or train and work with you face to face. We can discuss that during our free, no-risk initial conversation with you.
INSTINCT IS COMPLETELY SCALABLE TO YOUR NEEDS
Like we said before, we are not in the “make sweeping change” business, and as such we can start with narrowly focused efforts or conversations and build up as needed. We build our relationships with clients based on time.
We do this by using what we call Time Buckets. Let’s see how they work:
Examples of work may include website usability reviews, workplace policy reviews, short online workshops, strategy overviews, new hiring planning, data gathering
Examples of work may include new project management processes, new customer service processes, management training, conflict resolution, communication design projects
Examples of work may include new product and service design, ongoing workshops and training, ongoing one-on-one consulting with owners and key personnel.
For simplicity and fairness to all, our Time Buckets are based on time and not money, meaning your hourly rate never changes.
- Small Bucket: Zero – 40 hours
- Big Bucket: 40 – 160 hours
- Custom Bucket: long-term projects and ongoing relationship
YOUR INSTINCT WORKFLOW
STEP 0NE: TALK
- We start with a free, no risk, no commitment conversation…yes we actually will TALK to you…via phone, Google® Hangouts, or Skype®.
- We discuss what it was that lead you to reach out to us, and we spend time getting to know you and your situation
- If we all agree that there’s something we can do for you we move on to Step 2.
STEP TWO: TIME BUCKETS AND WORKSPACES
- Together, we define the scope of the work, goals, metrics of success, and who all will be involved.
- We agree on a Time Bucket so there’s no ambiguity about costs.
- We setup any needed Workspaces and online tools for you and others.
- If it’s your first time working with us, we give you an easy to follow walk through of the process and tools at your disposal.
STEP THREE: START WORKING
- Depending on the project, work may include one-on-one sessions with you, meetings or workshops with your team, and collaborations through our Workspaces.
- We track all time, including planning meetings, Skype® or Google® Hangout sessions, and the work we do on our own.
- You receive time logs and status reports on progress as agreed to during the Time Bucket discussion.